Depending on what is burned to achieve it, the ash is similar to
diatomaceous earth, which is used for insect deterrent and barrier.
Diatomaceous earth has sharp silica crystals that cut the insect's
hard outer shell with hundreds of small piercings which kills them
because their insides become exposed to air and dry out.  If the
insects breath in this fine ash, it also cuts their lung parts so
they suffocate.  It is effective against moths, larvae, cockroaches,
and lots of insects that would get into grain and ruin it.

I would suggest that you check the composition of the ash to find out
what it is from - if there is a high concentration of silicate or
silicate-like compounds.

Diatomaceous earth has been well know for these properties since
antiquity.

Suzanne Jamison
928-652-3247

If you have a problem on which a group of people is working and
everyone messes up just a little bit, it will come out perfectly.
       Corollaries to Murphy's Law