On Wed, 10 Jun 2009, Bringfried Stecklum wrote:

> Brad Cavanagh wrote:
> > Hi Bringfried,
> >
> > On Jun 10, 2009, at 9:36 AM, Bringfried Stecklum wrote:
> >
> >> Dear colleagues,
> >>
> >> when I tried to open the FITS file
> >>
> >> /home/stecklum/Targets/IRAS13481-6124/AAT/aatdata/443/20060606/A/RUN0134.FTS
> >>

> >> GAIA bumped with the error
> >>
> >> "bad filename format"
> >>
> >> Any thoughts?
> >
> > What happens when you rename it to either .FIT or .FITS ?
> >
> > Cheers,
> >  Brad.
> >

> Hi Brad and Colin,
>
> this is weird and not a Gaia fault. I am running Gaia 4.2.2 on Ubuntu 8.10. The
> error occurs when trying to open the file by double-clicking from the file
> manager (I tried both nautilus and pcmanfm). It goes away after renaming the
> file to hhh.fits, hhh.FITS or hhh.fts. Opening the file from the command line
> works, of course.  So what is special about FTS?

FTS is only recognised when the CONVERT package is available, so I imagine
that you must be opening GAIA in such a way that CONVERT_DIR isn't
defined, say by running $GAIA_DIR/gaia.[sh|csh] without doing the standard
initialisations first (source of $STARLINK_DIR/etc/login && cshrc).

So:

  % gaia RUN0134.FTS

works

  % unsetenv CONVERT_DIR
  % gaia RUN0134.FTS

fails as you describe. If you're running GAIA as a FITS viewer from
various file managers, that would explain it, in which case define
CONVERT_DIR as part of the startup command, something like:

   env CONVERT_DIR=/star/bin/convert /star/bin/gaia/gaia.csh

should do it.

Cheers,

Peter.