Hi all,

I have a question about conjunction analysis on the mixed effects in SPM.
I have a 2x2 design. If I want to perform a conjunction analysis to see
which areas show activity for the second AND the fourth condition (VS
baseline), I would try it like this:

1: Create two new contrasts: [0 1 0 0], [0 0 0 1] (SPM does not give them
automatically but that is not the problem).
2: Perform a conjunction analysis by selecting both contrasts: [0 1 0 0] &
[0 0 0 1], selecting conjunction when prompted, etcetera.

I came across a presentation on analyses in SPM (see attachment). It seems
they suggest a different approach. I do not understand their line of thought.
I do see that my conjunction analysis differs in two ways: 1) I do not have
a 2x3 but 2x2 design; 2) in the example, they do not contrast against
baseline but one condition against the other.
Still, they seem to suggest an analysis different from mine. They seem to
suggest I should perform the analysis as such:

[0 1 0 1] (both rhythm temp grouping and verbal temporal grouping VS
baseline) and mask (is that what is meant by 'given'?) that with the
conjunction [0 1 0 0] & [0 0 0 1].

I hope I understood the example -- having a presentation without presenter
proves difficult at times. I wonder how the two approaches differ and why
one should choose one over the other. Does anyone have an idea?

Cheers,
Dirk.

--
Dirk Schuit