Dear SPM experts,

I have 2 groups of subjects who each performed a task with 4
conditions. I would like to compare the shape and amplitude of the HRF
in the regions activated by the task between these two groups of
subjects.

Approach 1:
On the FFX level take the average of the 4 conditions (contrast 1 1 1
1) for all subjects in both groups and take this average to the RFX
level in a one sample t-test (over the 2 groups). Then take the voxels
significantly activated in this one-sample t-test and compare the
shape and amplitude of the HRF between the 2 groups of subjects within
these significantly activated voxels.

The idea here is to make sure that I am comparing the 2 groups only in
voxels that are actually implicated in the task. I am just not 100%
sure whether the one-sample t-test and the following ROI analysis to
compare the 2 groups are statistically orthogonal and the approach
therefore statistically valid.

Approach 2:
On the FFX level calculate a contrast for each of the 4 conditions for
all subjects in both groups (resulting in 4 con images per subject).
Then on the RFX level perform a 2x4 ANOVA. Take the voxels
significantly activated in the main effect of condition (over the 2
groups) to build the ROIs and then compare the shape and amplitude of
the HRF between the 2 groups within these ROIs activated by the main
effect of condition.

The first approach is by far the simpler one and therefore the one
that I would prefer. I think both approaches are valid, but am not
100% sure about the first approach and would really appreciate some
feedback. Are both the first and the second approach valid? And would
I be performing valid statistics by taking the first approach?

Many thanks in advance for any thoughts on this matter,

Bianca de Haan.

--
Dr. Bianca de Haan
Section Neuropsychology, Center of Neurology