If you were going to combine the 4 trials into one regressor, am I right in
thinking that it would be regressor 1 + regressor 2 + regressor 3 -
regressor 4? Then the estimate is simply whether the first three are greater
than the last one.
Or would regressor 4 need to multiplied by 3 first (e.g. the amplitude of
the 4th trial is 3 times as great as the other ones in the model). I don't
think the latter is correct because if there were 2 regressors (1+2+3 and
4), the contrast [1 -1] would give you the wrong solution if you first
multiplied by  regressor 4 by 3 (e.g. the beta would 1/3 of the others even
it was the same response).

If these are correct, then collapsing regressors should be done without
weighting them.

--
Best Regards, Donald McLaren