Dear Diane,

It's not clear from the error message you sent where the error occurs
so it's hard to know what the problem is. In general for now in SPM8
you should always convert your data to average reference. This might
change in the future. You can use spm_eeg_montage to do that and there
are detailed instructions in the manual for how this is done.

If that doesn't help, send me the example (you can use yousendit.com)
and I'll look at it.

Best,

Vladimir