From: Online forum for SEDA, the Staff & Educational Development Association [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Simon Ball
Sent: 21 May 2009 10:59
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Inclusive use of Technology briefing

Dear Colleagues

Your attention and action please!

This week we have mailed out to all HEIs (the FE dissemination will follow shortly) our new Senior Manager Briefing resulting from 18 months’ research under the Technology Change for Inclusion project: “12 Steps towards Embedding Inclusive Practice with Technology as a Whole Institution Culture”. (Thanks again to all of you who contributed to the research).

A hard copy of this Briefing has been sent to the PVC (Academic) or equivalent, along with four further hard copies to be given to the Heads of Staff Development, Learning Technology, IT/Networks and Disability/Student Support (or equivalents). The reasoning behind this madness is that one of the key findings from the research, and therefore one of the 12 Steps in the Briefing, is that the most successfully inclusive use of technology occurs where the PVC leads key collaborations between these four roles.

I am alerting members of the SEDA list because I am certain that in many institutions these Briefings will not successfully move from the PVC’s desk to the desks of the Heads of Staff Development and other key colleagues listed above without prompting – please do pass this email onto your Head of Staff Development if this is not you! Please could I prevail upon you to contact your PVC within the next week or so, to ask for your copy of the Briefing and thereby encourage the key collaborations from your end? Of course I will happily email you a copy of the Briefing upon request, but the point of the exercise is to draw this issue to the attention of the PVC, so if you could try that route first and come back to me if you fail to acquire your copy, that would be ideal.

For those of you in Scotland the official launch of the Briefing takes place Wednesday 27th May at e-Inclusion Scotland at Glasgow Caledonian University.

Many thanks in advance for pursuing this for me – and if you successfully obtain your copy of the Briefing for working on the 12 Steps within! Of course I am always willing to advise further on any activities you undertake in pursuit of the aims of the Briefing, and would be grateful for any feedback.

Best regards

Simon

Dr Simon Ball

Senior Advisor

JISC TechDis Service

Supporting the education sector in achieving greater accessibility and inclusion by stimulating innovation and providing expert advice and guidance on disability and technology.

www.techdis.ac.uk

Skype: simontechdis

01904717580 / 07813917888

Next JISC TechDis HE Online Updates: June 18th at 14.00 repeated June 23rd at 11.30 – www.instantpresenter.com/techdisonline78 - all welcome!

This email is confidential and may be privileged. If you are not the intended recipient please accept our apologies. Please do not disclose, copy, or distribute information in this email nor take any action in reliance on its contents: to do so is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. Please inform us that this message has gone astray before deleting it

Please note that views expressed in this email are those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of the Higher Education Academy

Please note that this e-mail has been created in the knowledge that Internet e-mail is not a secure communications medium. We advise that you understand and observe this lack of security when e-mailing us

Although we have taken steps to ensure this e-mail and attachments are free from any virus, we advise that in keeping with good computing practice the recipient should ensure they are actually virus free

The Higher Education Academy Registered No 4930131

DISCLAIMER:
This email is intended solely for the addressee. It may contain private and confidential information. If you are not the intended addressee, please take no action based on it nor show a copy to anyone. In this case, please reply to this email to highlight the error. Opinions and information in this email that do not relate to the official business of Nottingham Trent University shall be understood as neither given nor endorsed by the University.

Nottingham Trent University has taken steps to ensure that this email and any attachments are virus-free, but we do advise that the recipient should check that the email and its attachments are actually virus free. This is in keeping with good computing practice.