Dear All,

Society members will know that I have been printing out discussion on
the Rudyard-Kipling discussion group for many years, and the
transcripts are stored with the ‘ephemera’ files in the Society
Library. The recent question from Jane about a Kipling quotation is a
good example of the justification for this use of paper.

The very quotable quote “A man can never have too much red wine, too
many books, or too much ammunition” has a long history on the
mailbase. Going back to 3rd September 2005, we had a query from Doctor
Martin G. Erikson, from Sweden, about the source of the quotation. To
my knowledge, there were no replies, apart from promises to try to
find a citation, from me among others, off list.

Then, on 27th February this year, I tried the mailbase again, stung
into action by a query from a non-member, Peter Olausson (also from
Sweden). Martin Erikson replied to my plea, on list, saying that he
had a memory of a reference to it in the works of  Frans G. Bengtsson,
By coincidence, Peter Olausson was an enthusiast for Bengtsson (who
translated ‘Paradise Lost’ among other pieces of what Peter called
‘Anglo Saxon’ literature). Peter has not returned with a citation, so
we are little further in the chase.

Both Martin and I have tried the usual sources, including the Kipling
Journal (using the word search system, as well as the excellent Index)
and every biography in the Library.

I would suspect that this is yet another case of ‘it must be Kipling,
it is so well put’, or perhaps something less worshipful. However,
Martin. Peter, Lou, Jane and I would be grateful for something more
definite. There must be a member out there who can shed some light.

Best regards,

John