John McGivering and I have just been collaborating on the New Reader's Guide Notes for this less well-known tale:  reading through the text of the tale again, after we thought we'd finished, I ran across a phrase on which we haven't commented, but on which I think we should - except that I don't know the answer - can anyone out there help please?
    The phrase is "alluring to brighter realms", as it comes in this exchange  (the narrator (Kipling), Pyecroft and the chauffeur, Leggatt, are talking to a dock policeman at Wapshare (a very thinly disguised Rye)):
   ""What's it like at the Fuggle Hop?", I demanded.  We were very hot where we stood.  The policeman looked irresolutely at Pyecroft, who naturally echoed my question.
    "Not so good as at the 'Astings Smack, if I might be allowed," and alluring to brighter realms, the policeman himself led the way."
    The phrase sounds to me as if it is a quote from a hymn, or at least the echo of a hymn - but if so it's one I don't know.