From: Universities Transport Study Group [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On
Behalf Of Oliver Carsten
Sent: 01 June 2009 18:13
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [UTSG] Opportunity for students to win a prize and an internship in
Brussels

Please pass this message on to your students and feel free to circulate it
as widely as possible.

The ShLOW! (Show me How Slow) project, led by the European Transport Safety
Council (ETSC), still has openings for projects by UK-based students.
Through participation in ShLOW!, students have a chance to win a prize to be
awarded in 2010 on the basis of their project and also the chance to obtain
a safety-related internship with ETSC, a campaigning organisation in
Brussels.

ShLOW! focuses on the work of committed young students who will be
encouraged to run a local campaign or concrete action to reduce speeding in
road transport with the support of ETSC and its partners. The first stage
for the students is participation in a "Camp" in Brussels, which provides a
one-week training on speed management.

Using the knowledge acquired during the Camp, the students will, on their
return home, carry out an individual project on Speed Management at the
local level. During their projects, the students will receive the support of
consortium partners. At the end of ShLOW!, the most successful student will
be invited to Brussels to receive an award.

All types of student are eligible - undergraduate, masters and PhD. Projects
should relate to a particular initiative or campaign on speed management,
which could be on a campus or local level. Small-scale projects are not a
problem - indeed they are desirable in that they are more likely to have
achievable impacts. SHLOW! projects can also relate to some activity that is
already taking place.

Further information about ShLOW! can be found on the project website,
http://www.shlow.eu/. The deadline for the finalisation of proposals for
projects is the end of June. Any interested students from the UK should get
in touch with me at
[log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>.

Oliver Carsten

Professor of Transport Safety
Institute for Transport Studies
University of Leeds
Leeds LS2 9JT
UK

tel +44 (0)113 343 5348
fax +44 (0)113 343 5334
email [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>