What a delightful contribution Karen - many thanks for posting it and for the pleasure it continues to give.

Love Jack.

On 16 Jun 2009, at 23:55, Karen Alexandra Mary Thompson wrote:

Dear All
I like the use of the word occlusional. It is far more descriptive than exclusional whihc by implication suggests a deliberate act of keeping someone out rather than them having a lack of understanding or being unable to participate for other reasons.
Being maritime minded I couldn't help but think of the buoys which are described as occlusional - as the 'spaces' in between flashes of lit buoys are known as 'occlusions' where a lit buoy is dark for a set length of time - the 'flashes' are in fact dark seconds in time and thus not visible. Thus the description of someone being 'occluded' (excluded or ! left out) would draw a parallel description with that of the buoys in that they are only 'lit' infrequently - 'lit' being a metaphor for inspired, included or encouraged.
I often feel like a ship at sea - there are times when there seems to be 'nothing out there' when in fact the ocean is teeming with life. It is just a matter of fiunding the life and communicating on the right channels with other ships (and creatures) and then inclusionality will happen.
A little piece of fun - below - explains the occlusional sequences of one such buoy on Minots Ledge Lighthouse, Boston USA and the phrase 'I love you' comes up. I dont believe in coincidence - we're back to agape again!  What can I say!
Karen T!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/A22808162
143 and the 'I Love You' Lighthouse, Minot's Ledge
The 'I Love You' or 'I Miss You' lighthouse is perched facing out into the Atlantic,=2! 0on the exposed Minot's Ledge — named after George Minot, an 18th-Century Boston Merchant who lost a valuable ship on the rocks prior to construction of the lighthouse. The ledge is part of the Cohasset Rocks1, off Massachusetts, USA.
When, in 1894, a new f! lashing lantern was installed in the 34-year-old lightho use it had a 1-4-3 sequence2 and very soon the number sequence was taken to represent 'I Love You' or 'I Miss You' (I /1 flash, Love /4 flashes, You /3 flashes). Over the years this simple l! ighthouse code has been a comfort to sailors from the area, their sweethearts and families. The story is now widely known and the code is much loved for itself.
Other than its role in saving lives and shipping, the lighthouse came to prominence, so the story goes, when the Coastguard6 proposed changing the light sequence and converting it to a computerised system. It may have just been a rumour, but naturally, there was an outcry from the local population over the proposed loss of their 'secret' message in the flashes. However, it is still flashing its '143' message much to the delight of the local people and the many romantics around the world who use this code, not to mention the produc! ers of Minot Ledge merchandise.
Incidentally, the number 143 is the product of the sequential prime numbers 11 and 13; 11 x 13 = 143. If the pair are added, 11 + 13 = 24, and with the digits reversed, 24 = 42.

1 Situated about 20 miles SE of Boston Harbour and 1.5 miles offshore at Lat/Long 42 16 12 N, 70 45 30 W.
2
The current sequence is - 1 flash (1.5 seconds) – occluded or dark for 5 seconds â€=9! 3 4 flashes (1.5secs. each flash with dark of 1.5secs. between) - dark for 5 seconds – 3 flashes (1.5secs. each flash with dark of 1.5secs. between) - dark for 15.5 seconds - repeated.