I think this a very fine poem, Dominic, although I wonder too whether a
close liaison with the language of Geoffrey Hill does not show through a
little in places, I'm thinking of lines such as:
"Covetousness makescovenant with itself, renews its vows
each episode. There’s comedy in that."

while the appearance of a 'bounder' in these 'ere days is a bit reminiscent
of Hill's own awkwardness with the colloquial, rather than yours.

But I like the poem's dialogue with (self-questioning) self.

--
David Bircumshaw
"Nothing can be done in the face