Yes, Judy, poetry is about dedication, not fame. So many people I come
across don't comprehend that: they think of it as a form of becoming
'somebody', poor souls, as if they could assuage their emptiness in others'
eyes, become 'real' within by becoming 'recognised', they talk of poetry as
a 'career', as if it were a matter of collecting certificates to hang on the
wall to prove 'development'.Milton, all those years ago, put the task of a
poet succinctly: 'to strictly meditate the thankless Muse', emphasise the
'thankless' in that it's how one should pitch expectation, ask for nothing
and it'll be a Christmas every time some little does fall one's way. As for
that reality of being someone, a name, the one, well, to paraphrase Fanny
Howe , we are all always a voice within a body that 'doesn't know we're
there'.