De: jose luis casamayor <[log in to unmask]>
Para: [log in to unmask]; [log in to unmask]
Enviado: martes, 2 de junio, 2009 18:03:14
Asunto: RE: On publication: Advancing the state of knowledge VS. Being recognized

 Hi Livier,

The point i wanted to make is that although designers-practitioners and designers-researchers have different aims, produce different outcomes and their outcomes are evaluated under different type of criteria, the criteria used to evaluate both groups in design-academia is not equivalent. and then some people can poin out...why it should be? well, because design institutions are adopting a criteria where lecturers experience as design practitioners is increasingly becoming less valued, in other words, a PhD and publications is becoming the most valued asset, which might not match the students learning demands.

In fact, today in some institutions, not necessarily research-based, a PhD has become a must if you want to get into academic positions, independently of the type of teaching (BA, MA, PhD, etc.) you will carry out. Ironically, a lot of academics with research-based training are not only (sometimes they will never do) supervising research students but also (most of the time) teaching master students or bachelor students.

David already mentioned that he carried out his MA to learn how to design-practice and a PhD to learn how to do design-research. However, the reality is that today you can become a lecturer without any or minor real professional design experience and yet teach BA and MA design students how to design. Again a PhD and text-based publications is the criteria that 'counts' (Robie asked) more. If most of the teaching involves teaching bachelor and master students, why a PhD is so necessary if the students (future designers) will not need the skills that are encouraged in research-based degrees, or if these skills maigh be also needed in their training why dont value both skills in the same manner. That is physical artefacts outcomes and text-based outcomes, which have been evaluated by their own respective experts.

I think here the americans have been more realistic, by allowing design-practitioners to access design education by showing a mastery of the practice with an MFA whilst in UK the PhD is becoming the 'license', making less sense. why a common evaluation standard? to try to solve these issues.

ok, enough of stealing your precious time...

Hope this helps,

Jose