Hi Gavin,

Thanks for your comment re the discourse on power, and to others who have commented and/or are interested in the list of references that might come out of this query. I'll compile what I get back and post it.

I have indeed spent a fair amount of time "theorizing power first" in the Power discourses of political science, sociology and even cognition. I didn't mention this because it goes a bit off topic for the list. Some of my overview sources for the broader power literature have included these, with Boulding (the stick, the carrot and the hug) and Scott (force, manipulation, legitimation and signification) proving particularly useful:

- Boulding, Kenneth. 1989. Three Faces of Power. London: Sage.
- Clegg, Stewart R. 1989. Frameworks of Power. London: Sage Publications.
- Lukes, Steven. 2005. Power: A Radical View. Basingstoke: Palgrave Macmillan.
- Scott, John. 2001. Power, Key Concepts. Cambridge UK: Polity Press.
- Poggi, Gianfranco. 2001. Forms of power. Cambridge : Polity Press ; Malden, MA : Blackwell Publishers.

Overview sources situate the major thinkers (such as Machiavelli, Hobbes, Weber, Dahl, Lukes, Giddens, Foucault, Arendt, Habermas, Parsons, among many others) in power into the major strands of power research/discourse.

Since my research concerns activism and social movements, I've also been looking at the theoretical framework on that side (sometimes called "counteraction), a region represented well by these overview works:

- Tilly, Charles, and Sidney Tarrow. 2007. Contentious Politics. Boulder: Paradigm Publishers.
- Traugott, Mark, ed. 1995. Repertoires & Cycles of Collective Action. Durham: Duke University Press.
- Tarrow, Sydney. 1994. Power in movement : social movements, collective action and politics. Cambridge : Cambridge University Press.
- Rucht, Dieter, Ruud Koopmans, and Friedhalm Neidhardt, eds. 1999. Acts of Dissent: New Developments in the Study of Protest. Oxford: Rowman & Littlefield Publishers.
- Jordan, Tim. 2002. Activism!: Direct Action, Hacktivism and the Future of Society. London: Reaktion Books.

Interdisciplinary research certainly challenges one's literature review capacity...

Best,
Ann

Ann Thorpe
Dept of Design, Development, Environment & Materials
Open University, Walton Hall, Milton Keynes, MK7 6AA, United Kingdom

Bartlett School of Architecture, University College London
Wates House, 22 Gordon Street London WC1H 0QB, United Kingdom

book: The Designer's Atlas of Sustainability (www.designers-atlas.net)
& blog: http://designactivism.net