Jeremy,

Thank you for the link to the report. It does indeed make interesting
reading.

I asked for the report because, having seen individual reports in the
past, I did not believe that the figures you quoted were anything like
correct. This report describes a serious systematic review of previous
studies. In summary they say:

It found that, on average, about 2% of scientists admitted to have
fabricated, falsified or modified data or results at least once –a
serious form of misconduct my any standard – and up to one third
admitted a variety of other questionable research practices including
“dropping data points based on a gut feeling”, and “changing the
design, methodology or results of a study in response to pressures
from a funding source”.

So - rather than 6 per cent admitting to falsification of data, the
reported weighted average is actually 1.9 per cent.

Rather than 'upwards of 50 per cent' admitting to questionable
practices, the reported figure indicates up to a third admitting to
questionable practices, some of which may be small but nevertheless
were felt by those individuals to be worth reporting.

Many more did say that they knew of others who were guilty of dodgy
practices. There is no indication of what any of this has to do with
plagiarism.

Most of the dodgy scientists were in medicine and pharmacology.

I wondered how I might fare in answering such a survey. I have never
knowingly falsified data, though if asked about others I might say
that I have known of several cases where design researchers' data were
worthless due to ignorance of process rather than deliberate
massaging: these would include not controlling [or having too many]
variables, inconsistencies in data collection, poor questionnaire
design, bias, and hopeless optimism.  Of course it might be argued
that one dodgy practice is misreporting the results of surveys.

I should also point out that my interpretation of this report is also
partial and aimed at making a point, but does (I hope) state the
figures accurately.

David

David Durling FDRS PhD   http://durling.tel