Hi, Chris,

Indeed. Creative Commons is a descendent of the GNU. I alluded to Creative
Commons in the earlier note on "copyright" as one of the copyleft regimes,
probably the best known and most widely used. This is the copyleft regime
used by International Journal of Design -- I shold have been more explicit.
But as Jeremy of Creative Commons, this is a license that rests on
copyright. As I noted on copyleft in general, many legal scholars argue that
copyleft rests on copyright -- that is, the vested right of the creator in
his or her intellectual property. Under the laws of most nations signing the
international copyright conventions, this is the foundation of all IP law.
It protects any creation prior to publication or the explicit transfer of
rights.

The main reason for providing the two notes and the appended sources is to
provide some of the history on these issues and up-to-date web sites. In all
legal issues, history, precedent and conventions -- cultural and legal --
have a great deal to do with what happens at any moment. My copyleft note
was written at the start of the decade, but the web sites are continually
up-dated. The concepts and precedents remain the foundation of current law.
The best source on copyright remains the 2003 edition of Paul Goldstein's
book, Copyright's Highway, published by Stanford University Press.

One could probably practice a form of radical copyleft -- rather like David
Mayor's idea -- by explicitly and irrevocably releasing an item into public
domain. The Creative Commons license is resembles Bucky Fuller's idea:
protecting the work from the control of wealthy and powerful organizations
while making it accessible to the general public. Except, of course, that
Fuller used copyright to do this, while Creative Commons uses a specific
license that grants permission.

Yours,

Ken