Re: [OCC-HEALTH] Asbestos Exposure Interesting, but very curious that he reports that his lung function test has improved since he took up smoking. What you write suggest that his exposure was not recent, hence the regular lung function tests.

The link between smoking and an improvement in lung function is spurious as not only does smoking adversely affect lung health in the general, otherwise healthy population, smoking is a known risk factor for emphysema for example.  As Jean points, out smoking is known to exacerbate the effects of asbestos exposure.

I suspect that the person you refer to below likes to think that smoking helps his respiratory health as it gives an excuse to carry on with the habit. A bit like the stance of “My great uncle Bill smoked 40 a day til he was 80 and only died when he was run over by a bus ”.

Anne

On 25/6/09 20:05, "Pippa Clark" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

I am aware of a man whose parents and wife died of this. The father and son worked with boilers years ago. He is seen yearly at the Brompton where he has a lung function test and 2-3 yearly chest x ray. Apparently his lft has improved since he took up smoking a few cigarettes a day!

From:          [log in to unmask]
Date: Thu, 25 Jun 2009 14:47:36 -0400
To: <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: [OCC-HEALTH] Asbestos Exposure
Living in an asbestos hot spot this is an ongoing subject of concern for so many employees. Many people will have been exposed as a child or whilst at work depending on their type of employment. Many continue to be exposed and don't realise it. The problem is not asbestos but rather when it is disturbed and in fibre form.
 As a matter of interest asbestos is also found in artex upto 1992.
 There are no tests which will assist they only tell once the individual has the illness. Early reporting of symptoms is important.
 There are known increased risk factors such as smoking.  A colleague has lost a grandfather, uncle and mother to mesothelioma. Coroner has found it was not work related but related to where they lived as a family.