** The Music and Science list is managed by the Institute of Musical Research (www.music.sas.ac.uk) as a bulletin board and discussion forum for researchers working at the shared boundaries of science and music. ** MESSAGE FOLLOWS:
Dear all,

Next Wednesday 1 July, at 3pm, Bob Sturm will present the seminar Sparse Approximation and Atomic Decomposition: Considering Atom Interactions in Evaluating and Building Signal Representations.

The seminar will take place in room 105 in the Electronic Engineering Department, Queen Mary University of London, Mile End Road, London E1 4NS. Directions of how to get to Queen Mary are available at http://www.elec.qmul.ac.uk/research/seminars/ as are details of future seminars. The room is under access control, so people from outside QM will need to contact C4DM to get in - the lab phone number is +44 (0)20 7882 5528 and if I'm not available, anyone else in the lab should be able to help. If you are coming from outside Queen Mary, please let me know, so I can make sure no-one's stuck outside the doors.

All are welcome to attend. For those unable to attend a video recording of the seminar should be available on the above website after a few days.

If you wish to be added to / removed from our mailing list, please send me an email and I'll be happy to do so.

Wednesday's seminar (1 July 3pm):

Title:
Sparse Approximation and Atomic Decomposition: Considering Atom Interactions in Evaluating and Building Signal Representations

Speaker:
Bob Sturm
Institut Jean Le Rond d'Alembert (IJLRDA)

Abstract:
I will present work from my recent dissertation, which makes contributions to the sparse approximation and efficient representation of complex signals, e.g., acoustic signals, using greedy iterative descent pursuits and overcomplete dictionaries. As others have noted before, peculiar problems arise when a signal model is mismatched to the signal content, and a pursuit makes bad selections from the dictionary. These result in models that contain several atoms having no physical significance to the signal, and instead exist to correct the representation through destructive interference. This diminishes the efficiency of the generated signal model, and hinder the useful application of sparse approximation to signal analysis (e.g., source identification), visualization (e.g., source selection), and modification (e.g., source extraction). While past works have addressed these problems by reformulating a pursuit to avoid them, in this dissertation we use these corrective terms to learn about the signal, the pursuit algorithm, the dictionary, and the created model. Our thesis is essentially that a better signal model results when a pursuit builds it considering the interaction between the atoms. We formally study these effects and propose novel measures of them to quantify the interaction between atoms in a model, and to illuminate the role of each atom in representing a signal. We propose and study different ways of incorporating these new measures into the atom selection criteria of greedy iterative descent pursuits, and show analytically and empirically that these interference-adaptive pursuits can produce models with increased efficiency and meaningfulness.

Bio:
Dr. Sturm has received an undergraduate degree in physics from the University of Colorado, Boulder (B.A. 1998), a graduate degree in computer music from Stanford University (M.A. 1999), and a few other graduate degrees from the University of California, Santa Barbara (M.S. 2004, M.S. 2007, Ph. D. 2009). He continues his research in sparse approximation and signal representation as a Chateaubriand Fellow post-doctoral researcher at UPMC - Paris 06 with Professor Laurent Daudet.

Tim Murray Browne

--
Centre for Digital Music (C4DM)
Electronic Engineering Department