Dear Rosalind and all,

Thank you Risalond for your raising question.
As to mentor's self-knowledge, I should think about the mode of thinking and
contents of knowledge separately.  Because mentor acquired the thinking
mode, observe his/her own practice, reflect on it, and identify own
problem,...like action research cycle, he/she can use his/her
self-knowledge(contents of knowledge) as the spring-board to improve his/her
practice, I think.

According to Prof.Calderhead and his colleague's study, a novice teacher has
an initial image, which means the image as a lesson taught as a pupil/a
student, and tend to make a lesson plan and implement a plan based on
his/her initial image.
The initial image is very difficult to destroy even if they learn hard
through the initial teacher training. I think this tendency is a feature of
novice teacher's thinking mode and thereby he/she cannot always learn from
his/her own practice.

Consequently, teacher education programmes should focus on the mode of
thinking because both a mentor and a mentee learn from own experience,I wonder.

Warmest regards,
Tadashi