Dear Dianne, (Dear All),

I agree with you but to be open to different models of mentoring and coaching it can be useful (depending on your preferred learning style) to explore 'established' models first before developing your own from synthesising aspects of what is known and from there moving to what is not yet known. If you think about David Kolbs' elegant learning model and Gardner's Frames of Mind you can see that we approach learning in different ways.

Now for some people it seems 'the only way to learn' is to be open minded from the outset
- good but that should not be taken to be everyone's preferred way of engaging in learning. One of the aspects of studying educational psychology towards writing my thesis in 2003 was a growing understanding of my multiplicity as a learner - I explore given models first then assimilate and reflect and then and only then I engage in creating "new" knowledge.  Others start from  creating knowledge and then see how it aligns with pre-existing models.

If we return for a moment to Tadashi's questions for this e-seminar we see that there is ample opportunity for everyone to participate in exploring both mentoring and coaching, howsoever they wish/ as their learning styles enable them. Do you see that opportunity?
having read Tadashi's handouts, how do you perceive mentoring and coaching assisting teachers' ongoing professional development around & within the practice of kounai-ken?

Very much looking forward to hearing from you - I always value your replies as you know!

Sarah

PS Time for settling down to sleep here so apologies, Dianne, if it takes us a while to reply
Sarah Fletcher

Consultant Research Mentor

http://www.TeacherResearch.net

Convenor for BERA Mentoring and Coaching SIG

Details at http://www.bera.ac.uk