From: Tadashi ASADA <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: How mentoring and coaching might improve teachers' CPD in Japanese schools
To: [log in to unmask]
Date: Monday, June 8, 2009, 2:04 PM

Dear Sarah,

>I'd like to know more about how you see mentoring and coaching
>complementing one another as a means to facilitating teachers' learning. Do
>you think the skills involved in mentoring and coaching are the same or
>distinct?

Thank you so much. Your question is difficult.
I think the notion of mentaring involes/contains that of coaching.
Generally, coaching focuses on the physical aspect, for example, coaching in
sports domain. In my paper coaching focuses on the teaching skills,
ie.questioning, how to writeing on the blackboard and so on. However, I
think the skills also means the cognitive skills, how to think, and coaching
in teacher education shoud deal with them. If so, coaching should not set
limits to the physical aspect.
On the other hand, the notion of mentoring is wide, and focuses on the human
development through the professional development.
I think the relationship between mentoring and coaching is similar to that
between education and training. Education and training have the same
terminal goal, but the learnig process is different. Training process is the
most effective route to the goal, so at least the trainer has the check
points to attain to the goal and the criteria of evaluation.  In education
the leaner tries and fails many times and finally attains to the goal. In
this process the educator support and sometimes instruct the learner and the
learner is brought out his potential by the educator's support. I think
training is necessary in educational process, but only training cannnot
serve the learner's development.

My answer to you question is that the skills involved in mentoring and
coaching are in part the same because mentoring involves coaching.
So I think we  need to reframe the skills in coaching from the view of
mentoring.

Warmest regards,
Tadashi