Hi Jan, Mark and Everyone,

That's very interesting - thank you! One of the main skills (in my opinion) that a coach and mentor needs to develop is the ability to 'read' a mentee's or client's body language in order to personalise what they are doing/saying; by paying very close attention not only what is said but also what is being revealed by non verbal communication (as in any relationship where trust must be built in a short time and sustained). So - while I agree that asking the 'right' questions in non directional coach-mentoring is highly important mastering the skills demands more than that...

One of the ideas I am playing with at the moment (and I would LOVE to find someone to work with me on this!) is using computer software to generate avatars as coach-mentor and mentee-client where the dialogue is the sound track from authentic mentoring-coaching interaction - gets round permissions for video, sensitivities about identities as it can be anonymised like genuine role play without so many problems... (?)

In order to work towards creating avatars I need to learn how to analyse video footage and that is why I posted the 16 very short clips last night. I am going to try analysing by Mark's system and also try and explain how I analayse the footage in my (less systematic!) way. Thinking back to the excellent session on asking questions in coaching I took part in at the TLA conference last week - this reference comes to mind: it's a highly practical handbook

Hubbard, R. and Power, B. (1999) Living the questions; a guide for teacher-researchers, Stenhouse Publishers, Portland USA It also relates to Emma's clips so I will see if I can incorporate some of the guidance to make my video analysis more systematic & rigorous.

Sarah