From: medieval-religion - Scholarly discussions of medieval religious culture on behalf of Jon Cannon
Sent: Wed 24/06/2009 6:09 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [M-R] mitred abbots

I wonder what date the mitred prior of Worcester is? There were fun and games there over the matter:

' ... a prior wearing a mitre instantly raised

procedural issues: the bishop and the prior could not be seen in the same cathedral wearing mitres of equivalent grandeur. At Worcester, the argument over mitre design went all the way to Rome. The bishop had to watch his prior carefully to see if he had indeed removed the gold fringe and jewels which, it had been decreed, made his mitre look too much like the bishop’s one, or whether his staff contravened the papal decree which restricted its colours to blue and silver.'