-----Original Message-----
From: medieval-religion - Scholarly discussions of medieval religious
culture [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Christopher
Crockett
Sent: Thursday, June 25, 2009 9:43 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [M-R] les habits pontificaux

From: Leah Rutchick <[log in to unmask]>

> Seems I missed a few e-mails (too many)--Rupin is of course a primary
(19th
C) source for Moissac history,

as a 19th c. author, he would be a "primary source" only for events in the
19th c. history of the place which he, personally, witnessed (e.g., the
attempt to run the train through the cloister).

he's a secondary (or tertiary, or worse) source for the medieval history of
the abbey.

>but with a grain of salt.

well, most 19th c. secondary sources require a good quantity of salt near to
hand for proper savoring.

>If you happen to have the page # in Rupin. . .

i've made inquiries and will pass on any info i acquire.

however, the reference to the primary source ("Biblioth. Cluniac. ad lib,II,
p. 165") is dispositive here, seems to me.

unless we're interested in 19th c. historiography.

btw, even though i believe i once had (and sold) a copy of it, i'm having
trouble figuring out the exact title of this "Bibliothèque Cluniac." --can
someone give me a hand with it?

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]

to: [log in to unmask]