Hi Mike

Re: On these really rich sites I always want a bit more guiding - knowing how
and what to search for is an area where I think most non-museum/gallery
users could do with some hand-holding. There's a bit of this here, but
personally I always like to see more..

Just a quick note to say that because the JISC funding was to produce a
resource for FE & HE audiences that use the Pre-Raphaelites as part of their
courses/research that this was our target audience and this is who we did our
audience research and usuability research with etc - I think we would have
produced a different sort of website otherwise. However, we were always
aware that we would also have a big public interest and I hope that anyone
with an interest in the Pre-Raphaelites will enjoy looking at this site.

Best wishes

Linda

Hey Linda

Lovely site - really like the features like the ajax search filter  - very intuitive.
Great design, friendly URLs, not too much gratuitous web2(!).

On these really rich sites I always want a bit more guiding - knowing how and
what to search for is an area where I think most non-museum/gallery users
could do with some hand-holding. There's a bit of this here, but personally I
always like to see more..

Picky usability points: I'd personally move the search box up so it is on
the "search the collection" tab so that the search box is associated with the
filter. Also I think "inline glossary" needs a bit more explanation - just a better
ALT or a little info-window when you hover over it, maybe.. I'm also always
going to ask: "where is the API?" just as a matter of course from here on up :-)

Re. people without the Silverlight plugin: I'm guessing that the zoom view
degrades in some graceful way for those who don't have it...?

Silverlight is apparently at around 20% penetration
(http://stackoverflow.com/questions/652717/silverlight-penetration-
rate/652756) (although this seems a pretty high estimation to me?) wheras
Flash is now at about 97% (Flash 7) to 87% (Flash 10) (see
http://www.adobe.com/products/player_census/flashplayer/version_penetratio
n.html).

"Deep Zoom" (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc645050(VS.95).aspx)
is (I'm guessing) the reason why Silverlight was chosen over Flash...

cheers

Mike

Mike Ellis
Professional Services Group