From: lis-pub-libs: UK Public Libraries [mailto:[log in to unmask]]On Behalf Of Deb Davis Lib Answers Direct Supervisor
Sent: 08 June 2009 11:21
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: ENQUIRE

Hello Alan,

I understand your complaint that people don't understand that Enquire is a national service. It is up to local authorities clearly labelling that the service is staffed by libraries outside of their service. Here in Essex our description of Enquire is as follows:

ENQUIRE 24/7 online chat service

ENQUIRE uses web chat technology allowing you to have your enquiry answered by a real person, online, in real time!

Available 24 hours a day, seven days a week so you need never wait for information again.

Please note: ENQUIRE is a national service in which we are participants, so your enquiry may be being dealt with by staff at other libraries throughout the UK or (during the night) in the USA.

I think our web page is about as clear as it gets. We have a pretty good take up of the service in Essex which I hope is because it is relatively easy to access from our website and clearly labelled that it is potentially an international service.

I am also surprised by your comments about the amount of use the service is getting. We're monitoring the 24/7 queue in addition to Enquire. Last Thursday morning I was ignoring the American enquiries as we were the only authority for a time monitoring Enquire. I had three enquiries going at once. Normally there aren't scheduling issues and three to four authorities are on board to share the load.  However, I still would have been dealing with loads of enquiries if I had been picking up the 24/7 enquiries on Thursday too.

Regards

Deborah

Deborah Davis

Adults, Health & Community Wellbeing: Libraries

Essex County Council | telephone: 01245 436580 | email: [log in to unmask]

EW7