I received about ten replies to the query I sent recently asking about
HE libraries' experiences of putting short loan books on the open
shelves.   (I've copied my original message at the foot of this
message.)

Libraries' experiences and views differ considerably.   Whereas at one
library placing short loan books on the open shelves was said to have
been pretty disastrous, as books were often not in the right place when
people needed them, librarians at a few other universities felt it was
successful.  Two or three librarians mentioned that short loan books
were borrowed considerably more after they were moved from a closed
access collection to the open shelves along with the other books.  (I
guess that this would happen at my library, since some books in the
closed access short loan collection behind the Issue Desk tend not to be
borrowed as much as we would expect.)  I think that there tend to be
pros and cons to any arrangement.

Some libraries have an open access short loan collection with its own
security gates, which would reduce the chances of books being stolen or
mislaid, but colleagues at Swansea have decided that this would not be
feasible here.

I know of a few other libraries that are planning to move books from a
closed access short loan collection at the Issue Desk to the open
shelves, partly at least because the library is now open for longer
periods when the Issue Desk is closed.

Ian Glen

Swansea University

I would be interested to hear of any library, especially in Higher
Education, which has placed short loan books (borrowable for
approximately 24 hours/ over the weekend or less) on its open shelves
(either within the main sequence or separate from the main sequence but
not within security gates).   At Swansea University we have a closed
access Short Loan Collection, but after this summer we may place some of
the books from this

Collection on the open shelves.     If your library does have short loan
books

on the open shelves I would be grateful if you could tell me how well
(or badly) you think that the system works.   Do you find any problems
such as books in heavy demand being hidden or not returned quickly
enough to the shelves?