I've used the analogy of Google as a shopping mall you've never been to before, with all the clashing and conflicting invitations to come into all the different shops that want your money - and the information you're after is in the branch library you're not even sure is there!

Mark Callan
Tyne Metropolitan College

-----Original Message-----
From: Information literacy and information skills teaching discussion list [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of James Tudor
Sent: 09 June 2009 10:46
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: TV times metaphor

I also find the metaphor of shops useful when discussing quality and appropriateness of sources.
Likening Google to the 'biggest car boot sale in the world' - not my idea but (sorry) forgotten the originator - particularly seems to get their attention.

James

James Tudor
Subject Librarian, Business School & School of Services Management
The Sir Michael Cobham Library