Until fairly recently ARLIS could use the University of Alaska's public
wireless network to check remote access to our resources. (ARLIS is
located within a UAA building, but has a separate IP range.) However, like
some corporate sites, UAA wireless now blocks access to the ports we use
for remote access via Ezproxy.

Our fix is to install a remote desktop product, such as GotoMyPc or
LogMeIn, on a home computer.  This permits access to a browser on a home
outside our firewall, without a trip home. LogMeIn has a free version with
remote control functionality needed for this testing.

I have also found that our remote users are willing to help with tests and
trouble-shooting as the need arises.

--
Steve Johnson
Systems Coordinator/Management Team