RE: Resources for academic English for home students - 2nd blast of the trumpet!

Greetings, all!

(I now see a flattering post from John Hilsdon about it... Thanks, John!  But having drafted this response, I'll send it anyway.)

I posted to LDHEN some time ago about the AWE (Academic Writing in English) website that I have been developing - hull.ac.uk/awe).  This has now reached some 2,100 pages.  It is a motley collection, and I foresee that it might have reached only 10% of its potential size: but it has already proved its usefulness to people I see, and has had over half a million hits on the web 9thanks again, John!): see http://slb-ltsu.hull.ac.uk/awe/index.php?title=Special:Statistics for the current position.

It is intended that each page (giving advice on one of the little points that students ask about, and/or that 'teachers' (in the broadest sense) want to tell students about) should be as short as possible, ideally visible on a single screen without scrolling.  It is also convenient when advising students, or providing written feedback, to print out pages (this morning it has been 'Been - being' and 'Their - there - they're'; last week it was 'Principles of Referencing' and various of the 'Irregular verbs', with a Greek speaker).  It is a wiki (using the same software as wikipedia), with restricted editing rights, to ensure a degree of pedagogic 'correctness' and control: it's quite easy to use, and has some minimal Help pages.

In essence, it is an on-line, searchable Guide to Usage, in British academic register.In this sense it is much less fundamental than the similarly named AWESOME project at Leeds, which came to the same kind of title independently.  It calls itself "a novel social virtual environment to support dissertation writing based on sound pedagogical models, using authentic examples, and following Web 2.0. tenets, notably collective intelligence and active engagement of users in creating and sharing content", and can be found at http://awesome.leeds.ac.uk/

So that's an answer to Michelle's request.  Now to a request of my own:

I am retiring (being made to retire) from Hull this September. I shall be devoting my time to AWE thereafter.  But, given the ambition of the project (it will outlive me, I am sure), I am looking for collaborators (an eventual successor?).  And for money...  all work on this so far has been voluntary, and the only cash was a small grant for a Teaching Fellowship.  Collaborative applications are always stronger, of course.  And I am about to lose my status here, which will further weaken my search for ash.  So if anyone out there would like to get involved, I'd be glad to hear from them.  E-mail me at [log in to unmask] with the subject line AWE application.

Hope this has been helpful - and looking forward to hearing from you!

Peter

Peter Wilson
Academic Writing and Study Skills adviser
Study Advice Service
University of Hull