Dear collleagues,

I have been largely off-line the past several weeks, although I have
been doing my best to keep track. (If you have written recently and
not heard back from me, please accept my apologies and my assurance
that I shall write you soon.)

It is, for me, molto spiacevole to have to return to the list and
have to deal with the most fundamental matters. I have stated this
many times before, and I really really really would like for this to
be the last time I state it:

1) This is a list dealing with scholarly discussions concerning any
area of Italian studies. It's not a list dealing with anything
outside this area; that includes areas that include Italian but are
not exclusive to it. And THAT includes petitions, regardless of how
well-intentioned or generally important or just they may be. There
are approximately 5.9 zillion other forums for such matters, but this
forum is not such a one.

2) This is a list where we are meant to be professional and polite.
Be it.

3) This is not a place for people to take up non-scholarly arguments
on list. If you want to say something to a person, say it to that
person, not to one thousand people who have other things to do in
their lives.

4) This is not meant to be a police, or papal list, so please don't
make me be a policeman or the pope. (Or, as one person on another
list has said, 'the list daddy' -- or papi, I suppose.)

Please help. Be good to each other.

Best wishes,
George

--