Dear Nuno,

Sorry for the delay in responding.  I have been travelling.

You are right to identify the perils of not studying an award
thoroughly.  Your email is correct on point 1.  The award in the
Barbados v Trinidad and Tobago case did not address the question of
precendence between entitlements of overlapping zones.

The reason that it did not do so was because the tribunal concluded
that Trinidad did not have continental shelf beyond its 200 miles and,
therefore, the tribunal did not have to address the question.  If
Trinidad did have continental shelf beyond its 200 miles, the tribunal
would have had to address the question.  This is all laid out in the
text of the award itself.

The relevant parts of the award are as follows:

1) It was agreed by the parties in their pleadings and the tribunal in
the award that the CLCS has no competency to deal with the division of
maritime territory.  It only has competency to determine the location
of the outer limit.  See, for example, paragraph 87 of the award,
where the tribunal quotes Trinidad's own pleadings:

	"Indeed, Trinidad and Tobago maintains, the CLCS "has no
competence in the matter of delimitation between adjacent coastal
States; that competence is vested in a tribunal duly constituted under
Part XV of the Convention." "

2) Trinidad claimed that the tribunal was such a tribunal and
therefore had jurisdiction to delimit the parties' single maritime
boundary out to the edge of the continental shelf.  See award
paragraphs 63 (c) and 217(ii).

3) Barbados claimed that the tribunal did not have jurisdiction to
delimit the parties' single maritime boundary out to the edge of the
continental shelf on the basis that the dispute about continental
shelf beyond 200 miles had not properly been submitted to the tribunal
(a procedural, not a substantive, objection).  See award paragraphs 80
and 213.

4) The tribunal ruled in favour of Trinidad and against Barbados on
this point.  It held that the dispute about the delimitation of the
continental shelf beyond 200 miles had properly been submitted and
that the tribunal had jurisdiction to resolve the dispute.  Indeed,
the tribunal ruled that it had no option but to resolve the dispute
aboout the continental shelf beyond 200 miles.  The reason, it said,
was because, in law, there was only one single continental shelf, not
an inner and a separate outer continental shelf.  What it had to
delimit was the entire continental shelf entitlement as between
Barbados and Trinidad.  See award paragraph 213:

	"The Tribunal considers that the dispute to be dealt with by
the Tribunal includes the outer continental shelf since [the tribunal
then dismisses two procedural objections of Barbados that are not
relevant here] and (iii) in any event there is in law only a single
"continental shelf" rather than an inner continental shelf and a
separate extended or outer continental shelf."  See also paragraphs
384 (i) and (ii).

No ambiguity about that.  The tribunal did not say that it was only
going to delimit the "inner" continental shelf.  It did not say that
it was going to ignore the dispute about the area beyond 200 miles.
On the contrary, it expressly recognised that it had to deal with the
dispute and that the dispute required a delimitation of the entire
continental shelf, both within and without 200 miles.  And that is
what the tribunal did, giving, in the process, no continental shelf to
Trinidad beyond its 200 miles.

In the tribunal's view, there was no way that its award could possibly
avoid resolving the dispute over the delimitation of the continental
shelf beyond 200 miles.  The tribunal expressly accepted that it was
obliged to delimit the continental shelf claims as between Barbados
and Trinidad in their entirety.  It would be beyond belief that the
tribunal so clearly and repeatedly recognised in the award that it had
an obligation to delimit the full continental shelf as between the
parties but then failed to do so and only delimited the "inner
continental shelf", having just said that there was no such thing.
Not surprisingly, it did not fail to delimit the full continental
shelf.  The fact that the tribunal delimited the continental shelf in
such a way that gave Trinidad no share beyond its 200 miles does not
mean that it failed to delimit the full continental shelf.

5) In paragraph 368, the tribunal delimited the single maritime
boundary between Barbados and Trinidad, including a delimitation of
the entire continental shelf, as described in paragraphs 381 and 382
and Maps V and VI of the award.  This delimitation resulted in a
single maritime boundary that follows the equidistant line, until its
eastern end, and that terminates at Trinidad's 200 mile limit where it
intersects Trinidad's southern boundary line (its boundary with
Venezuela as per the Trinidad - Venezuela treaty).  The tribunal
expressly confirmed its holding that:

	"the single maritime boundary which the Tribunal has
determined is such that, as between Barbados and Trinidad and Tobago,
there is no single maritime boundary beyond 200 nm." (Paragraph 368)

"[T]here is no single maritime boundary beyond 200nm."  Thus, the
award has not ignored the area beyond 200 miles.  The Tribunal did not
listen to but then, contrary to its own statement of its own task,
ignore Trinidad's claim.  The award is not silent on the issue;  it
makes a positive determination: there is no single maritime boundary
beyond 200 miles.

There is no single maritime boundary beyond 200 miles because only one
of the parties has maritime territory beyond 200 miles.  If both
parties had maritime territory beyond 200 miles, then there would have
to be a single maritime boundary there.  It is not possible for there
to be no single maritime boundary between Barbados and Trinidad and
Tobago beyond 200 miles if Trinidad has continental shelf beyond its
200 miles, given that the tribunal said that there is only one single
continental shelf and its job is to delimit it both within and without
200 miles.

Therefore, there can be no doubt that the award gives Trinidad no
continental shelf beyond 200 miles.  The tribunal reinforced this in
the very next sentence:

	"The problems posed by the relationship in that maritime area
of CS and EEZ rights are accordingly problems with which the Tribunal
has no need to deal."

Again, the only way that the problems posed by that relationship were
not problems with which the Tribunal had need to deal, given that the
award had recognised that the tribunal had the jurisdiction and
therefore the obligation to deal with the question of to whom belongs
the continental shelf beyond 200 miles, was if Trinidad has no
continental shelf beyond 200 miles and thus the problems were moot for
the resolution of the dispute.  The tribunal reinforced this yet again
in the following sentence when it concluded:

	"The Tribunal therefore takes no position on the substance of
the problem posed by the argument advanced by Trinidad and Tobago."

Again, the only way that the Tribunal could take no position on the
substance of the problem posed by Trinidad's claim - given that it had
recognised that it had the jurisdiction and thus obligation to deal
with the claim - was because it had denied Trinidad's claim to
continental shelf beyond 200 miles outright and therefore the
substance of the problem was moot and had no relevance to the
delimitation.

6) The tribunal's finding that it had jurisdiction to deal with
Trinidad's claim to continental shelf beyond 200 miles, combined with
the fact that it said that it did not need to deal with the substance
of the problem associated with relative entitlements to maritime space
that were raised by Trinidad's claim, necessarily reflected the
tribunal's conclusion that Trinidad does not have continental shelf
beyond 200 miles.  That is confirmed in the text cited above, the
description of the delimitation of Barbados' and Trinidad's single
maritime boundary as stopping at Trinidad's 200 mile limit where it
interstects with Trinidad's southern boundary, and the award's Maps V
and VI.

7) Lest the vampire of Trinidad's claim to continental shelf beyond
200 miles rise from the coffin once more, the tribunal hammered its
stake into the heart of that claim in the final paragraph of the award
(paragraph 385 (2)):

	"Claims of the Parties inconsistent with this Boundary are not
accepted."

It is not possible for a claim by Trinidad to continental shelf beyond
its 200 mile limit to be consistent with the single maritime boundary
delimited by the award.  A simple look at Maps V and VI suffice (point
11 is at Trinidad's 200 mile limit).

Kind regards,

Robert