Dear all,

This might seem a somewhat strange request, but please bear with me.

I represent ALGAO on DEFRA's Uplands Land Management Advisory Panel.  As such, I have been asked by another member of the panel, namely Christopher Thomas-Everard (Chairman of the National Beef Association), to check his facts regarding a paragraph he has included in a letter to the Treasury:

"
The British are widely recognised as beef eaters because they have been dependent for centuries on cattle turning rank vegetation into their principal food.  (Lambs were kept for wool).

The British were famous in Roman times for the quality and quantity of their cattle and Britons have been eating beef since about 500,000 BC.  Very large wild white Urus cattle (skull found at Cottenham Fen) of the Palaeolithic (old stone age) and Neolithic times (new stone age) (9,000 BC) were followed by the Bos primogenius (skulls found at Bath and Tiverton, which became the wild White Park cattle of Chillingham etc) and the smaller domesticated Bos longifrons (Celtic short-horn) which became the modern British and Irish breeds of cattle (Galloway and Dexter being the most similar).  These cows provided milk and the bullocks were slaughtered for meat.  From the archaeological remains of bones found at Danebury Hill Fort (550 BC to 100 AD), it has been estimated that two-thirds of the meat eaten by Iron Age Britons was beef.  (The rest was 20% mutton and 10% pork).
"

Any and all comments, corrections, amendments or suggestions very gratefully received - email me ([log in to unmask]) if you'd prefer.

Many thanks in advance - all the very best,

Elaine

Elaine Willett
SHINE Coordinator / Rural Development Officer
ALGAO: England

Historic Environment Unit
Hertfordshire County Council
County Hall
Pegs Lane
Hertford
SG13 8DN

Mob: 07733 301615

****Disclaimer****

The information in this message should be regarded as confidential and is intended for the addressee only unless explicitly stated. If you have received this message in error it must be deleted and the sender notified. The views expressed in this message are personal and not necessarily those of Hertfordshire County Council unless explicitly stated. Please be aware that emails sent to or received from Hertfordshire County Council may be intercepted and read by the council. Interception will only occur to ensure compliance with council policies or procedures or regulatory obligations, to prevent or deter crime, or for the purposes of essential maintenance or support of the email system.