Dear Adam,

A discussion is what I really yearn for, and so I'm sure do many others - what I'm trying to say is that the exchanges between you and Alex on this topic don't engage with each other to the extent that they count as a discussion. Neither of you modify your position in the light of what the other has said - you just reiterate the same standpoints in a kind of ping-pong match. An e-mail list requires a bit of self-censorship on everybody's part, that they should not simply keep repeating the same point, but should genuinely try to move the discussion forward. If I am the only one who feels this way I will gladly leave the list, but somehow I don't think I am.

Yours,
David

Van: The Health Equity Network (HEN) namens Adam Oliver
Verzonden: za 13-6-2009 15:33
Aan: [log in to unmask]
Onderwerp: Re: Desmond Tutu quotation

David

The HEN list is for discussion. This is something I do know, because I, with one or two others, established HEN. I happen to think that the role of the scholar versus that of the player is crucial, and is not discussed, or understood, enough, and I would encourage people to discuss issues of this sort, or indeed any other equity-related issues, via the list. If you don’t like the discussions, feel free to leave the list.

Regards,

Adam