We'd like to draw your attention to a topical session on pluton emplacement
and assembly to be held at the Geological Society of America annual meeting
in Portland, Oregon, USA from 18 - 21 October 2009.
Session T74, *Pluton Assembly: Duration, Mechanisms, and Structural
Controls, will bring together different viewpoints on the assembly of
igneous intrusions. Topics may include but are not limited to duration of
assembly, petrologic/geochemical processes, space-making mechanisms, seismic
imaging, and the role of structures in ascent and emplacement.*
*Long-held concepts of how plutons are assembled in the crust have been the
focus of considerable debate in recent years.  This discussion is a
consequence of new data and techniques (improved geochronology, refined
geochemistry, satellite radar topography, etc.) that sometimes challenge
predictions made by the commonly accepted models.  This session will provide
a forum for presentation and discussion of data pertaining to this ongoing
debate.  Because we seek a holistic view of pluton assembly, we hope to
attract presentations utilizing data from a wide range of disciplines,
including geochronology, geochemistry, structural geology, petrology,
geophysics, and geodesy*
*The deadline for abstract submittal this year is 11 August 2009.  Further
information on the meeting is available here:
http://www.geosociety.org/meetings/2009/

Please feel free to contact us regarding the session,

Eric Horsman ([log in to unmask]),
Sven Morgan ([log in to unmask]),
Michel de Saint-Blanquat ([log in to unmask])
*