North West poets

Amanda,

Wordsworth, of course (born and lived in Cumbria) springs to mind first and foremost. Also, you might consider one of the candidates in the BBC’s Britain’s Best Poet vote at the moment: Gerard Manley Hopkins. Although Hopkins wasn’t born in the North West, some of his best work was written whilst he was at Stonyhurst College, Lancashire (he also held parishes in Manchester and Liverpool).

The Merseybeat poets may also be on the list – based around Liverpool: Adrian Henri; Brian Patten; Roger McGough.

Others are:

Laurence Binyon (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laurence_Binyon)

Francis Thompson (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Francis_Thompson)

Ted Hughes, of course, was from Yorkshire, but only just (close to the Lancashire border), so you might just squeeze him in.

That’s all I can think of for the moment.

Barry Creasy

research, consultation, evaluation, cultural analysis