Hi Aynsley,

I have a feeling that most CD writer drives come with free software, so there may be some kicking around somewhere. If not, I use Nero (which came free with my CD drive), and it’s OK – it’ll do covers and so on.

I’m not a huge fan of copying CDs on the machine – the computer burning process isn’t the most stable transfer; it’s OK for temporary use, or transfer, but I wouldn’t want to hang on to machine-burned CDs as they deteriorate quite rapidly. When I burn stuff to CD, I generally suggest to who I send it to that they transfer it to a more robust storage medium as soon as possible.

If you’re looking to create lots of copies, you might investigate glass pressing – which is much more stable (it’s the process used commercially). It’s generally not worth it under 500 copies or so, but it’s not as expensive as you think – price for 500, including cases, printed booklets, and printed CDs, is around £700.

Barry Creasy

research, consultation, evaluation, cultural analysis