Hello. I would also suggest reading Henson's 2002 paper. There he maps out the ratios of the primary HRF and its derivative to show what the resultant time lags are. From the graphs you can see that there is a linear region of approximately +/- 1 second. Outside this region the relationships between the regressor fits and the resultant time lags are nonlinear resulting in a wide range of model fits that all have the "same" temporal lag. There is also a limit to the maximal temporal lag that can be captured by this approach.

Jason.