Hello Dr Pierpaoli,

I am wondering if you have, in fact, posted the DTI software that computes LI?

Thankyou,

Dianne Patterson

On Wed, Feb 6, 2008 at 10:56 AM, Carlo Pierpaoli <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
Hi Dianne,
the main motivation for proposing the lattice anisotropy index (LI) was to reduce noise effects in the computed anisotropy. At that time,  we had just realized that noise in the DWIs would not only increase the variance of diffusion anisotropy measures but also bias their mean value. in other words, the noisier the images the higher the anisotropy computed from them.  This was a very troubling finding because statistical tests do not generally handle bias in the data.  The problem is still unresolved today, although it is partially mitigated by the fact that data quality is much improved.

The main idea behind the definition of the lattice index is that if anisotropy is spurious (i.e. originating from white noise) the orientation of the anisotropic tensors in adjacent voxels should be uncorrelated, while if anisotropy is reflecting a true tissue feature, tensor in adjacent voxels should show some degree of orientational coherence.
In the lattice index, lack of orientational similarity results in lower anisotropy, intrinsically compensating for the noise-induced bias.  indeed, LI proved to be a very powerful way to counteract noise-induced  bias in the anisotropy images.

As Stefano and Steve mentioned one may have some concerns that the lattice index is not a purely intravoxel measure and that  it may iintroduce some spatial averaging in the data.  This is a reasonable concerns, although in my experience it is not a practically relevant problem.  In the lattice index, anisotropy is still an "intravoxel" feature, that however, is modulated (de-noised) by the degree of orientational coherence of tensors in surrounding voxels. If you think carefully, even in regions of transition between anisotropic to isotropic structures, the orientational field is varying smoothly, affecting slightly the lattice index.  The only regions where the assumption of slowly varying orientation is violated is at the interfaces between highly anisotropic white matter tracts with significantly different orientation, for example at the interface between corpus callosum and cingulum.

So, to answer your question: why the lattice index and is not more widely used ?  Probably for a combination of factors:  the concern for spatial averaging, the perception that its meaning is more difficult to interpret biologically,  the complexity of its definition,  the fact that its formula had a typo in the original publication (an erratum with the correct formula was subsequently published), and that it takes longer to compute.  Moreover, at this stage the community needs to find a common language and FA is so widely used that it makes a lot of sense to report FA data just to allow for comparisons with work in the literature.

This said,  I still find very convenient to inspect LI images in parallel with FA images and I still use LI as a filter for all directionally encoded color maps that we produce. The usefulness of LI is very evident when dealing with high resolution noisy data. i would not use LI for low resolution, good SNR data.
If you have a few datasets for which you would like to compare FA and LI we would be happy to process them. In a few months we should have our DTI processing software released which  compute LI and LI-filtered DEC maps .
Hope this helps.
Best wishes,

Carlo Pierpaoli, NIH