hi,
i have also experienced this behavior in a context other than
visualization. if a mask file is created or edited then saved it
appears flipped when loaded into other applications (MATLAB as well as
custom software that disregards orientations entirely). the data array
itself seems to be modified on save.
thanks,
oliver