Hi,

On 9 Jun 2009, at 17:22, Nicole Pelot wrote:

> Hi Steve,
>
> Thanks so much. I apologize for the questions with evident answers.
> I was
> actually being thrown by the fact that the time courses produced by
> the Full
> Model oscillate steadily every volume, whereas I am accustomed to
> seeing my
> 4 rest blocks interleaved with 3 active blocks, as is the result
> from the
> pre-subtraction (and is also the result I used to get when doing the
> subtraction in Matlab).
>
> Hopefully my last questions on this issue:
>
> 1) I should indeed be using EV3 (zstat5) as my perfusion activation
> maps &
> time courses (just need re-thresholding).

No - please read the documentation on the full modelling carefully -
if you used the wizard then you want zstat1 (not 5), which tells you
about the perfusion activation.

> 2) If I have a 3ms TE, why is there such a strong "BOLD" component?

I assume this wasn't 7T?  But it probably was Spirals (as opposed to
EPI) - is that right?  In which case there's a lot of signal that
comes in after the "3ms"?

> 3) I normally use the time course of the mean z-score to compute %
> signal
> change, SNR and CNR (just in Excel), but I really cannot see how these
> metrics fit in with the Full Model, since the timecourses no longer
> manifest
> my blocks. For example, I compute the percent signal change as the
> difference between the average of the active blocks and the average
> of the
> rest blocks, all divided by the average of the rest blocks.

You need to find out the peak-peak height of EV3 (look in design.mat);
then take the value of the cope1 image at the voxel of interest -
multiplying these together gives you the effect size - then you can
normalise that by the mean signal level (look in mean_func).

Cheers.

> Your help is really appreciated.
>
> Nicole
>

> On Tue, 9 Jun 2009 08:54:30 +0100, Steve Smith
> <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Actually - your results look fine - and it's a nice example of the
>> full model approach working slightly better than the pre-subtraction
>> (which in theory it should be in an ideal world).
>>
>> Judging from the tsplot outputs, the peak Z is actually higher with
>> full model, and there are slightly more supra-threshold voxels (I'm
>> comparing zstat1 from each approach). Maybe you're just being thrown
>> by the fact that (because the peak Z is lower with pre-subtraction)
>> "yellow" corresponds to lower zstats with pre-subtraction - so you
>> see
>> more yellow....
>>
>> Cheers, Steve.
>>

>> On 8 Jun 2009, at 13:49, Nicole Pelot wrote:
>>
>>> Thanks Steve. I have used the Model Wizard; I apologize for the
>>> simple
>>> question. But even now, when I run it again using the Wizard (rather
>>> than
>>> perfusion subtraction), it does not seem to give me reasonable
>>> output. With
>>> perfusion subtraction, I clearly get a very good fit; not the case
>>> when
>>> using the full model. I have a TE of 3ms, and therefore should have
>>> negligible a BOLD component, but this does not seem to be the result
>>> of the
>>> full model. I then have to wonder whether:
>>>
>>> 1) I'm somehow misusing the Full Model, even with the wizard.
>>> 2) I'm mis-interpreting the output.