This is highly ingenious, and I'm perfectly happy to accept that we may be dealing with two historically distinct words, but the solution still has problems. Latin /vj/ normally gives /d3/ in French, as Keith notes. But it is hard to see how we can argue from the resultant /d3 + z/ (/z/ = analogical plural marker (quadrivia being plural already)? new nominative singular marker?) to the /ks/ required by the etymology suggested. The problem is specifically the requirement for /d3/ to become /k/.

For those names that can be assigned to quadrifurcus rather than quadrivia, I'm inclined to believe the traditional story. Keith is right to say that the /k/ would regularly disappear between /r/ and /z/~/s/, but "from the middle of the 12th C on .... there showed itself a marked tendency to introduce the final consonant of the uninflected radical before flexional s ..." (Pope, From Latin to Modern French, p. 462 (para. 1242)). So what might have been spelt <-furs> or similar before 1150 might afterwards come to be written <-furcs> or similar. The point is here that the <c> would have continued to be audible (or visible, at any rate) in non-nominative case-forms, and got transferred to the nominative (with its final <-s>). Either the reintroduction of the <c> would have been both orthographic and pronounced, or the new orthographical form would have come to have a spelling-pronunciation

That leaves us with the loss of the second /r/. For me that's much less of a problem; it's just the loss of the second of 2 /r/s in succession (as in "Febuary", but the other way round) - a normal kind of dissimilation.

Richard

Richard Coates
Professor of Linguistics ~ Professor of Onomastics and
Director of the Bristol Centre for Linguistics at UWE
http://www.uwe.ac.uk/hlss/llas/bcl/index.shtml

Hon. Director, Survey of English Place-Names
(w: http://www.nottingham.ac.uk/english/ins/epns/ <http://www.nottingham.ac.uk/english/ins/epns/> )

Contact details:
e:   [log in to unmask] <blocked::mailto:[log in to unmask]>
t:   +44 (0)117 328 3278 (internal 83278)
f:   +44 (0)117 328 2295
h:   Room 5E26
     Dept of Languages, Linguistics and Area Studies
     University of the West of England (Frenchay campus)
     Bristol BS16 1QY, UK
w:  http://www.uwe.ac.uk/hlss/llas/staff_coates_r.shtml <http://www.uwe.ac.uk/hlss/llas/staff_coates_r.shtml>