Dear All,

Can I ask if any of you have had experience of this kind of situation,
and if so, how you have resolved it?

A student who presented with an old, (pre-16) report which suggested the
student was still affected by residual dyslexia, went to have an updated
report in keeping with the need to have a post-16 report for DSA and for
adjustments at our institution.

Although there was a recommendation that extra time would be beneficial
to the student, the report concluded that there was no longer any
evidence of a specific learning disability. Some scores were lower than
expected, (working memory), but in the average range of an overall
superior profile - the student had compensated for any difficulties they
might have experienced.

Now, I am mindful of the fact that dyslexia does not 'go away', and that
the reasoning behind adjustments is to allow a student to show their
underlying ability. However, I am also mindful that the general
population contains people who will achieve slightly lower scores on
their working memory tests, and that this is not in itself indicative of
dyslexia. This report suggests that there is insufficient evidence of a
specific learning disability, and so to allow extra time in an exam
would surely be setting a huge precedent?

Any thoughts gratefully received.

Regards,

--
Michael Woodman