John,

Slightly tangential, but I just saw a play –  The Idiot Colony – based on accounts of English women living out their lives in asylums between the 40’s and c1980’s. Some of them were apparently incarcerated by their families due to ‘embarrassing liaisons’ with black GIs billeted around the UK. This was apparently based on interviews with former ‘residents’ living in midlands asylums. They play was brilliant! Check out the link:

http://www.redcapetheatre.co.uk/idiotcolony.html

Jeff Oliver

From: Discussion List for Contemporary and Historical Archaeology [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of dan ratcliffe
Sent: 01 June 2009 23:57
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: 'Visitors' to wartime airbases

John,

A lottery funded project I'm involved with has uncovered a story along these lines relating to Wortley in South Yorks.  Its told in a book called 'When Jim Crow met John Bull' (http://openlibrary.org/b/OL17727961M/When-Jim-Crow-met-John-Bull) which deals with the experience of segregated African American US soldiers stationed in the UK during WWII.   At Wortley the troops were stationed at Earl Wharncliffe's ancestral home of Wortley Hall with Afro American troops living outside under canvas whilst white officers slept inside the hall.    A report was written by the US inspector general's office after the Earl complained of what he described as "serious fratinisation" between the troops and local white girls, some of whom were reported to be travelling to the hall in taxis from Sheffield to trade sexual favours for money and rations.  The report apparently found instances of girls as young as sixteen camping alongside the troops, one captain being punched in the face after disturbing a nightime liason.  There were also tensions reported with local men who resented the sudden influx of well paid, attractive young men.

I'd love to know more about this, I've contacted the US archives to try and get a copy of the report (they say the've lost it) and also put feelers out in the village to try and get some oral history, but people are as yet unwilling to come forward.

Hope this is helpful

Dan Ratcliffe

www.wortleyheritage.org.uk