Hi folks,

Forgive the cross posting. For those who might be interested my first book
Godzenie is ready to order. My Polish phase.

Right now it is on Amazon (hopefully SPD later).

http://www.amazon.com/GODZENIE-Marcus-Slease/dp/1935402498/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1245255184&sr=8-1

I might be taking off for a year (August or September this year) to teach in
northern Poland or Turkey but hopefully I can get some copies before I go.
So if you are in London I will order some copies and you can get from me.

cheers,

Marcus

A few blurbs:

These are not merely some of the most extraordinary lyrics about central
European urban realities since the death of the great Polish experimental
poet Miron Białoszewski. They are, simply put, some of the most
extraordinary lyrics I have ever read about how to live with disciplined joy
in the continual alienation that is urban life. *Godzenie* is a book about
how to live in the midst of hardship by doing the only thing fully possible:
reconciling the continual loss of the here with the continuous arrival of a
now. So, here at last is the expatriot heir of Bialoszewski. Strange that he
should be Irish. Fitting that he should write with a mind as laminar, with a
heart as wise, with lines as strange, as his predecessor.

Gabriel Gudding

*'Word ruptures: watching the words watching the mind write the words write
the mind'* -  this is an extract from the final section of Marcus Slease's *
Godzenie * and it would be hard to find a more apt description of his modus
operandi as he trawls through the funny, frightening, sexy, sterile,
prosaic, surreal, boring, brutal and tender landscape of 21st century
post-communist Poland. Slease is in his element as he shows us the ghost in
the boat, the loud sausages and the bottomless prayers of a country in a
state of flux.  A marvellous debut collection.

Geraldine Monk

The traveler of *Godzenie* hallucinates from his *diamond* *hotel* bed a
bestiary of memories while simultaneously tapping into the post-communist
Polish now.  We encounter the terror and kitsch of a folk subconscious as
found in the *house* *of* *the* *frog*, where we meet Mrs. Vogel to the
tunes of George Michael and a whiff of boiled *kapusta*.

Marcus Slease's playful travelogue carries us through this foreign landscape
in the same breath he also addresses the stranger that is the self, writing
a mirror through which we may enter his inner Poland. This reconciliation of
the inner and outer might be the *godzenie* of the title, the *alien* *
memory* *machine* and *robot* *heart* of a town whose shape on the map is
unmistakably human.

Amy King

In the mind of Marcus Slease, what lies between Ireland and America is
Poland, a Poland that turn out to be poetry itself, a land of extravagance
and lack, where a poet might go, might live, might write a poetry where
sensations rush towards us abrupt and energized, and contraries thrive in a
godzenie of the simultaneous. Life in this Poland is fast, curious, subtle,
blunt, bodily, complex as hell, and edging relentlessly toward song. In this
first volume of the epic of his wandering, Marcus Slease has written an
exhilarating book.

Joseph Donahue