June 2009

Dear Colleague,

A New Curriculum Teaching Pack

In August 2008, the Department for Children, Schools and Families (DCSF) made it a requirement for all school children aged 11 - 14 to study the nature and effects of the slave trade, resistance to it and abolition.

As part of our 2-year education programme, the Leeds Bi-Centenary Transformation Project (LBCTP) in association with Education Leeds, the Heritage Lottery Fund, the Joseph Rowntree Charitable Trust and the Afrikan Curriculum Development Association (ACDA), have developed a Curriculum Teaching Pack of 12 lesson plans for Key Stages 1&2 and 17 lesson plans for Key Stages 3&4, entitled 'African Achievements, Liberation & Aspirations'.

These 29 lesson plans are covered by 5 themes that can be used creatively across the curriculum:

·  Before the Trans-Atlantic African Slave Trade

·  Trans-Atlantic and Trans-Saharan Enslavement

·  Rebellion, Resistance and Abolition

·  Legacies of the Trans-Atlantic Slave Trade

·  Human Rights

Written by two practicing teachers and a university academic, this well-researched and skillfully produced Curriculum Teaching Pack provides teachers, educators and learners in both primary and secondary schools with a wealth of knowledge and resources to understand and appreciate African achievements, liberation and aspirations.

The activities in the Pack are easily accessible and ready for use in the classroom. Pupils require no prior knowledge of the slave trade or African enslavement, as each topic stands on its own. However, while each topic can be used separately and discreetly as a 'one off' lesson, the whole Pack can be used as a progressive teaching and learning resource, where each topic follows in uninterrupted sequence. Each topic has a suggested length of time for study and comes with a lesson format that we hope most teachers and educators will find comfortable to use.

1:2

2:2

The Pack, published in May this year, has been made available free to all Leeds' schools. In April, Chris Edwards, Chief Executive, Education Leeds, said:

The product is an exceptional teaching and learning resource . [that] has been well researched and piloted in Leeds schools by Saluka Saul, teacher at Hillcrest Community Primary School, Michelle Wittleton from South Leeds High School and Dr Carl Hylton, LBCTP Director.

Rehana Minhas, Director of Equality and Entitlement, Education Leeds, stated that:

The Pack 'is ground breaking and will make a significant contribution to enrich the learning of children and young people'.

While Richard Harker, Leeds Councillor and Executive Board member responsible for learning, had this to say in the Yorkshire Evening Post of 19th May/09:

 'Leeds is a great city made-up of many different vibrant communities which live, work and learn alongside each other. . It is vital that our children and young people understand what has happened in the past to ensure it doesn't happen again in the future.'

As a voluntary sector project, LBCTP we would like to work with you to help us ensure that all teachers, schools and pupils in England have access to this new curriculum and would welcome your support.

Please do not hesitate to contact us by email or telephone should you require any further information or clarifications.

We look forward to hearing from you in the near future.

With Best Wishes

Yours sincerely,

Dr Carl Hylton

Director, LBCTP

PS: Our current price framework is attached overleaf.

Encls

African Achievements, Liberation & Aspirations -Curriculum Teaching Pack

Prices for the boxed set of 29 printed lesson plans, CD version and introduction are as follows:

     Pack & CD

      Incl p&p

      1-9 units, each
     10-39 units, each
     40-69 units, each
     70-99 units, each
     100-500+ units, each
     Intro & CD

      Incl p&p

      1-9 units.

      each
     10-39 units, each
     40-69 units, each
     70-99 units, each
     100-500+ units, each

      Statutory Sector

      Schools

      Public Libraries

      Statutory Education Authorities

      Statutory Youth Services
     130.00
     120.00
     110.00
     100.00
     75.00
     100.00
     90.00
     80.00
     70.00
     45.00

      Voluntary Sector

      Supplementary Schools

      Youth Clubs
     75.00

     45.00

      Private Sector

      Corporate Organisations
     130.00
     120.00
     110.00
     100.00
     75.00
     100.00
     90.00
     80.00
     70.00
     45.00

      Private Individuals
     95.00

     35.00

      Resale Businesses
     POA
     POA
     POA
     POA
     POA
     POA
     POA
     POA
     POA
     POA

      Training for local authority teachers or groups of voluntary sector educationists on using the Curriculum Teaching Pack 'African Achievements, Liberation & Aspirations' is available by arrangement with the publishers.