I set out below the flier (minus a picture of John Archer) for the Black & Asian Studies Association Conference on Saturday 27 June at Clapham Junction in Battersea.

I would be grateful if you would:

(a) forward it to anyone you know interested in one, more or all of: UK Black & Asian, Battersea,  music, labour movement, Black Atlantic, Pan-African, and anti-racism history, whether as individuals, or as members of an organisation or a network.

(b) print it off and put it on any notice boards you can.

If you would like the details with the picture of Archer in a file attachment please email me. Members of BASA have already been sent the file.

Thank you.

Sean Creighton
Secretary,  Black & Asian Studies Association
www.blackandasianstudies.org

© Wandsworth Council

JOHN ARCHER

& BLACK EDWARDIANS

Black & Asian Studies Association Conference

Saturday 27 June, 2.30-5pm

Providence House Youth Club, 138 Falcon Rd, London, SW11 2LW

One minute from Grant Rd exit from Clapham Junction Station

Speakers:

Sean Creighton - John Archer and the Black Atlantic

Jeff Green - "Do we really know Samuel Coleridge-Taylor?"

David Killingray - the 1900 Pan African Conference

Caroline Bressey - White women and Black History:

The case of Catherine Impey

John Archer (1863-1932): Battersea's black Progressive Mayor 1913/14; campaigner for black rights/colonial freedom; leading Labour activist 1918ff.

Bookstall and displays

Cost £3

Further information & to book in advance contact Sean Creighton, BASA Secretary, 020 8640 2014. [log in to unmask]

BASA is holding a Member only discussion 'Who Do We Think We Are? Key Black & Asian Contributions in British History and the Challenges Ahead' and its Annual General Meeting in the morning. To join BASA email Sean Creighton (as above) or download membership form on www.blackandasianstudies.org.

The Conference is being held as part of Wandsworth Heritage Festival