  A MUST SEE website: www.caribbeanaircrew-ww2.com

Arthur

FYI

Launch of the book 'For King & Country'

June 17 2009, Washington DC

When Barack Obama, the first black President of the United States of America, honoured the Tuskegee Airmen who flew in WWII by inviting them to his presidential inauguration, he was ushering in a new World Order. By reclaiming and unashamedly celebrating the global contribution of the descendants of slaves, the new president allowed us to focus on such unfashionable markers as merit and teamwork, freed at last from the circumscription of race and ethnicity. In a critical rebalancing of the prevailing order, this was the first time that the black contribution to the history of America was given a place of honour at the centre of such an auspicious event, not just via the token recognition of a ‘’fly past.’’

By some happy synchronicity this historic event coincided with the launch of a website dedicated to Caribbean aircrew who flew for the Royal Air Force in the years 1940-45. I had initiated the site jointly with the Dutch webmaster, Hans Klootwijk. The Dutch have always been deeply touched by the sacrifices made for their liberation and it was Hans’s father, Joost, who had faithfully documented the last fatal flight of the Lancaster bomber of which I was Navigator, a story that has since been documented in the little book LANCASTER W 8427 Failed to Return!

The website at www.caribbeanaircrew-ww2.com  aims to provide a permanent archive of the volunteers from the West Indies who flew and is intended to be seen as an online memorial for a group that has for so long been neglected in the historiography on the Second War.

In the relatively short time since the site has been up, Hans and I, with the help of some enthusiastic correspondents, have been able to identify well over 400 Royal Air Force air crew from the Caribbean, about 80 of whom were commissioned as Officers with  103 receiving decorations for distinguished service.  All the details about their service are not yet known, but relatives and researchers are continually adding to this important archive and we have obtained records from other sources including from the National Archives.

It is also of  significance that we have been approached by representatives of the

British Bomber Command Association and the Ministry of Defence Air staff to

help organise an event in connection with Bomber Command’s appeal for a

permanent Memorial for all men who risked their lives on bombing missions

during the war. We hope this will be an opportunity for them to “launch” officially

the Caribbean air crew web site as part of their appeal.

That these three events should be taking place within months of one another, is a clear indication that our contribution is at last being  recognised but also that we all have a  duty to see that this is so. I believe that unless we record our own history, the place and role of the West Indies in the evolution and destiny of Britain will continue to be excluded from the unbalanced histories that are characteristic of our times. Having done extensive work on the origins of all men in Africa and argued for a return to the traditional values embodied in the ancient traditions that still flourish there, I believe that this is also an opportunity to rebalance the worldview of the West in favour of a more humane and inclusive one.

It is indeed an honour to have this opportunity to be able to link these momentous events that define who we really are and to urge everyone at this timely gathering to support Barack in spreading  the word.

Cy Grant