I've shared a document with you called "2009-06-27 INTERNATIONAL NEWS DIGESTED":
http://docs.google.com/Doc?id=dhb7n34c_1253dh7r4ds&invite=1424320699

It's not an attachment -- it's stored online at Google Docs. To open this document, just click the link above.
---

Dear colleagues,
Here is a long digest of international messages - lots to think about and/or respond to.

Best wishes,
Erica Foden-Lenahan
Book Library
The Courtauld Institute of Art

2009-06-27 INTERNATIONAL NEWS DIGESTED 2009-06-27 INTERNATIONAL NEWS DIGESTED

[ARLIS-L] BHA and European Journals
onday, 22 June, 2009 15:24:51
Ruth Thomas <[log in to unmask]>

Since BHA indexes so many European journals, what is the reaction of European scholars and librarians?  Do they depend on BHA or do they have other art history databases to rely on?  I tried looking at eresources holdings for a few libraries, but I couldn't get a sense of alternatives that we may not know about.

Ruth S. Thomas
Archaeology, Art, Art History, Classics Bibliographer
Mugar Memorial Library
Boston University
771 Commonwealth Ave.
Boston, MA 02215
(617)353-3770

[ARLIS-L] Getty Vocabulary Program - Architects' names from the Avery Index
onday, 22 June, 2009 19:25:06
Jonathan Ward <[log in to unmask]>

From: Patricia Harpring, Managing Editor, Getty Vocabulary Program
Re: architects' names from the Avery Index

We are happy to report that around 90,000 architects' names from the Avery Index have been loaded into ULAN candidate hierarchies. Beginning in late June 2009, we will begin to process the architects' records and they will appear gradually over the next several months with the published data on ULAN online  http://www.getty.edu/research/conducting_research/vocabularies/ulan/ . The will be included with the licensed files in June 2010.

Thanks to Ted Goodman at the Avery and our technical staff here at the Getty for making this possible.  We realize that the user community has been awaiting access to the newer Avery architects' names for some time now. (Normally, news of our editorial work is posted at http://www.getty.edu/research/conducting_research/vocabularies/recent_editorial_work.pdf, not on the list serves.)

Patricia

[ARLIS-L] William Brooke Thomas Trego Centenary
ednesday, 24 June, 2009 17:05:37
Mary Webb <[log in to unmask]>

Good Morning!
I am pleased to offer you a link to our online research exchange and
catalogue raisonne web site.

www.williamtrego.com

Launched on the 100th anniversary of the death of the Pennsylvania artist,
William Brooke Thomas Trego(1858-1909), the site shall grow as we share
our research files, obtain contributions of data, and add to our team of
advisors and researchers.

With thanks, I am
Cordially,
Mary Webb
Managing Director
Montchanin Fine Art
Greenville, Delaware
(610) 952-4300

[ARLIS-L] Unique early Judy Chicago film
ednesday, 24 June, 2009 17:08:39
Judith Dancoff <[log in to unmask]>

I want to let you know about an important early film on Judy Chicago that has just been made available on DVD.  Take a look at the website http://www.judychicagoandthecaliforniagirls.com for streaming video clips of Judy discussing her philosophy behind 'cunt imagery' that led to the Dinner Party, early performance art, and an authentic time capsule of early 1970's feminist art. As a cinema-verité documentary, the film offers an intimate view of Judy's earliest work as a teacher in her first, all-woman program at Fresno State College, and includes footage of such now well-known artists as Suzanne Lacy, Faith Wilding, and Vanalyne Green.

About the film, Judy's biographer Gail Levin said, "Judy Chicago & the California Girls" is a lively and engaging documentary on a significant moment in the history of feminist art and pedagogy. Filmmaker Judith Dancoff gets lots of credit for recognizing and preserving a unique moment in the history of American art."

"Judy Chicago & the California Girls" has screened has screened or is owned by the Whitney Museum of American Art, the Armand Hammer Museum, the National Museum of Women in the Arts, The Schlesinger Center at Radcliffe, Princeton University, Stanford University, Columbia University, campuses of the University of California, and numerous other institutions.

More information can be found at http://www.judychicagoandthecaliforniagirls.com.  Feel free to contact me with any questions and enjoy the clips!

Judith Dancoff

California Girl Productions

463 Crane Blvd.

Los Angeles, CA  90065

Tel: 323/225-5633

Personal email:

[ARLIS-L] CAA statement on BHA
hursday, 25 June, 2009 3:00:06
Barbara Prior <[log in to unmask]>

In case any of you haven't seen this yet.
I've copied and pasted the text below, and given the URL to the CAA site.
Please excuse any duplication.
Barbara
Barbara Prior
Art Librarian
Oberlin College

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~------------------------
June 12, 2009
CAA Statement on BHA and Getty Research Institute
posted by Michael Fahlund

Like many of our art colleagues and allied academic and cultural
institutions in the field, the College Art Association is deeply concerned
about the status of the Bibliography of the History of Art (BHA). CAA
continues to communicate with the Getty Research Institute (copublisher of
the BHA, along with the French Institut de l’Information Scientifique et
Technique du Centre National de la Recherche Scientifique) about the future
of the BHA and how this vital bibliographic resource can be maintained. We
will do what we can as necessary to secure its longevity once we have had
our inquiries answered by the Getty.

Here's a link to the statement:
http://www.collegeart.org/news/2009/06/12/caa-statement-on-bha-and-getty-research-institute/

[ARLIS-L] Exhibition invitation cards - "Gallery Card as Relic?"
hursday, 25 June, 2009 14:15:02
Jonathan Franklin <[log in to unmask]>

This is an interesting article about the disappearance of printed exhibition invitation cards in favour of electronic mailings:

http://artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/06/23/gallery-card-as-relic/

Online comment number 7 refers to the archival value of these printed ephemera as collected by archives and libraries. We have collected the printed cards for a long time and are now concerned about archiving the electronic ones. Has anyone developed any neat solutions for the latter problem? May be worth sharing with the list.

Thanks

Jonathan

Jonathan Franklin

Chief, Library, Archives and Research Fellowships Program

National Gallery of Canada

380 Sussex Drive

PO Box 427, Station A

Ottawa, Ontario

K1N 9N4

Canada

telephone (613) 990 0590

fax (613) 990 6190

email [log in to unmask]

[ARLIS-L] Call for Papers - "Cataloging & Classification Quarterly
hursday, 25 June, 2009 18:20:14
Bill Cohen <[log in to unmask]>

Posted on behalf of Sandy Roe, Editor, CCQ:
Call for Papers....

Cataloging & Classification Quarterly
CCQ welcomes the submission of research, theory, and practice papers relevant to the broad field of bibliographic organization.

This journal, published now 8 times a year by Taylor & Francis, LLC, is respected as an international forum that emphasizes research and review articles, description of new programs and technologies relevant to cataloging and classification, and considered speculative articles on improved methods of bibliographic control for the future.

Articles are particularly welcome in areas dealing with research-based cataloging practice, including user behavior, user needs and benefits.
Authors are encouraged to submit manuscripts via email with attached word document to the Editor, Sandra K. Roe, Bibliographic Services Librarian, Illinois State University  (email: [log in to unmask]).

Special Issues
Colleagues interested in guest editing a special issue or expanded double issue are invited to contact the Editor with a general proposal, tentative schedule, and CVs.  Previous special issues have included:

*Metadata and Open Access Repositories (Michael Babinec and Holly Mercer, Guest Editors)
*Bibliographic Database Quality (Jeffrey Beall and Stephen Hearn, Guest Editors)
*The Intellectual and Professional World of Cataloging (Qiang Jin, Guest Editor)
*Knitting the Semantic Web (Jane Greenberg and Eva Méndez, Guest Editor)
*Cataloger, Editor and Scholar: Essays in Honor of Ruth C. Carter  (Robert Holley, Guest Editor)

Annual Best Paper Award
Taylor & Francis sponsors an annual prize for CCQ with a small financial stipend for the Best Paper of the Year.
Complimentary Print Sample
A free print specimen copy may be obtained by sending an email to
McAndrew, Jason <[log in to unmask]>
Free Digital (Electronic) Sample...(available immediately)
a) go to:
    <http://www.informaworld.com/smpp/title~content=t792303976~db=all>
b) Go down five lines to this line (it will be in light blue)
       Subscribe....Sign in...Online Sample
     Please note in advance that registration is required for obtaining
     the complimentary online sample.

For More Details
Further details may be found at the CCQ home page: http://catalogingandclassificationquarterly.com/

For up to date information on forthcoming workshops and free visits please see the online ARLIS/UK & Ireland Events Calendar 2008 at http://www.arlis.org.uk/